Sunday, March 28, 2010

GIGANTIC


I went to see The Pixies last night. If anyone asks me what my favourite band is, The Pixies is always my answer. Sure I don't listen to them all the time, and I'm really a bit of a hip hop and fresh new music kinda gal - but these cats symbolise a time in my life that made me really appreciate music. No matter what genre or band you are into, bands like The Pixies are like listening to an old person tell a story...you shut up and listen because they have been through it all. Tracks like 'Where is my Mind' or 'Digging for Fire' definitely is a story that has been told a million times over....they started recording in 1987 and have probably played these tunes more times than you and me have had hot dinners. It has been the backdrop to many a break up, friends reuniting, playing in the background during summer school holidays, singing along very drunkenly while you hold your buddies tight in a pub or even when having rampant teenage sex. Their songs have been sampled time and time again, even contemporary artists such as M.I.A and Rye Rye have been inspired by the unique sounds of Frank Black, Kim Deal, Joey Santiago and David Lovering. Having an album such as Doolittle in your collection is very much like keeping your grandmothers wedding dress...you may not whip it out very often...but it makes you feel like you are part of something just by owning it.

1 comment:

Savyra said...

Couldn't agree more! Nice one, Owl.