Thursday, June 10, 2010

OWL'S SOFA: Let's Get Real ...




"Dear Owl,

So I have this best guy friend, he's my rock, I go to him for help in every area of my life. He just got screwed over by some idiot bitch (sorry for the language). He is currently in California and I am in Michigan, so it's a good 2000 miles range. I love the guy. Hes my best friend, and I don't know how to help him through this. And on top of him being screwed over, he's getting shipped out to go to Afghanistan in a few months. I have no idea what to do about the break up and I don't know how to handle him leaving for over a year. Do you have any advice that might help??"


Ok girl, truth talk now. You more than just have friendly love for this fella, don't you? I get that his life is taking a little ride on the fail train right about now, but seriously? It seems as though you are handling it a little worse than just a close friend. When you say you don't know what to do about the break up, my only suggestion is that you can't actually do anything. Break ups are a fuck show, and they are between 2 people. All you can do is be there for him, as and when he needs you. There is not much else you can do about him going off to Afghanistan either...other than be on the other end of the phone/internet/postal service.

I can't advise you what to do to help your friend, because by the sounds of things, you seem like you are doing enough. But I am reading between the lines in this letter, and I think my advice would be for you to start finding the strength to be just a good friend, and try to keep your emotions at bay ... this seems like it's gonna be just as hard, if not worse, for you. There is the long distance thing, the fact that he has just gone through a mad break up and the whole war thingo...it's all a bit shit. Just be a friend, and let old mate sort his own head and heart out. And you look after yours.

Chin up xx

No comments: